Shoutbox: [15-05] Serbie: Damn  :( rip

General discussion / Splitted Livesets

splittedlivesets -
Splitted Livesets

Dutch

Hallo mensen!
Ik loop bij het beluisteren van livesets vaak tegen het probleem aan dat ik een nummer terug wil zoeken en niet meer weet waar in de liveset die zich bevond. Of dat ik bijvoorbeeld bepaalde nummers wil overslaan.
Daarom ben ik met een projectje begonnen om livesets te splitten met behulp van .cue bestanden.
Met een .cue bestand en een (freeware) splitter kan je een lang mp3 bestand omzetten naar losse tracks.

Kijk voor meer informatie op mijn facebook pagina, daar zullen ook de linkjes te vinden zijn. De eerste komt zo online!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Splitted-Livesets/413368132116584

Reacties, tips en meningen en suggesties voor livesets die je gesplit wil hebben zijn natuurlijk van harte welkom, en mensen die willen helpen natuurlijk ook!

English

Hello people!
When I am listening to livesets I often have the problem that I heard a track and want to listen to it again later, but I can't find where in the set it was. Or that I want to skip certain tracks in a set.
Daarom ben ik met een projectje begonnen om livesets te splitten met behulp van .cue bestanden. That's why I started a project to split livesets with the help of .cue files.
With .cue files and a (freeware) splitter you can split a long mp3 file into seperate tracks.

Look for more information on my facebook profile, you can also find the links there.
The first one will be posted in a few moments!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Splitted-Livesets/413368132116584

Reactions, suggestions and opinions are ofcourse welcome, and so are people who want to help create .cue files!
G-Raver -
Here's my(hopefully not too blunt) opinion. It's a nice idea but why is this useful for livesets if I may ask? You're running into a few problems here:
1. The sets are mixed so you'll never be able to get a nice cut from start to finish
2. With that said the tracks will never be full length
3. Depending on the recording you've got mc's shouting through the damn set.
4. Don't even get me started on bitrate.
5. With the internet at your disposal how hard is it to do a quick search going track by track. The only case I can imagine is for unreleased/promo tracks.

With this said I think completing tracklist and providing tracklists if there is none is a lot more important. I think it would be a lot nicer if we could include the mark of the start/end of a certain track in the files themselves as some sort of id3 information that would be included during recording/ripping (Correct me if it's already done) so you would only need the file itself for information. Too bad ideas like that are close to impossible to turn in a standard that people use let alone know of. Another possibility is showing it near the wavefile on the streaming site itself.
Edited by G-Raver on 17-07-2013 21:51
splittedlivesets -
@G-Raver,

Thanks for your opinion! Appreciate it!

I'm going to go through your problems and explain my thoughts about it  :)

1. The sets are mixed, that's why I choose to go with the approximate start/end point of a track, it's more a way to find certain parts in a liveset.

2. Tracks aren't going to be full length, but on lots on compilation cd's they are not, and there it's never a problem, because they are meant for listening, and not for dj'ing

3. In my opinion "shouting" MC's help in livesets if you want to feel the total atmosphere of the party, without actually being there. (Some exeptions are there ofcourse, Ruffian always annoys me at Qlimax :P)

4. The bitrate of the cutted set will be exactly the same as the original mp3, so if you can listen to that you can listen to the cutted set.

5. Unreleased/promo tracks is a nice extra you can get out of this, but as I see it, cutting some nice livesets with good enough quality will turn them into instant compilation cd's to take with you on the go on your phone/ipod/mp3player/whatever.

To be honest I really didn't do much investigation into other possibilities to put info like this directly into the mp3 file, don't know if it's possible, but I think this is the best way to be compatible with all devices that can play mp3 (although some of the older devices will experience some lag at the cut-point due to track switching)

That is my opinion on this matter  ;) Again thanks for your input, and feel free to tell me what you think of my answers!
G-Raver -
3. I understand that but do you really want that in the splitted track? Depends on the person I guess.

As for tracklists in mp3 files with id3 tags i've looked into it and it can't be done. It's a sad truth but cue files are all you've got.

What I was wondering more is why would you provide a cue file when providing start times of tracks could be all people need to find a track? Maybe I'm looking at it from a way too tech savvy perspective. With that said have you looked into making a tool that takes a timed tracklist and a file and converts it into a cue file? that would be a very useful tool to have.